Hosted for the first time at the University of Minnesota
October 31, 2012 - November 2, 2012
Location and Lodging
A limited number of rooms are being held at a reduced rate. To make reservations using the reduced rate, please reference the Engagement Academy.
University of Minnesota East Bank
615 Washington Avenue SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414
Map and directions
Housed at Virginia Tech, the Engagement Academy for University Leaders was developed by a national group in 2008, and endorsed by the American Association of State College and Universities, the Coalition of Urban and Metro Universities, and the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities. This national program has received awards for its innovation and quality. The Engagement Academy for University Leaders is designed for executives that have the ability to influence or participate in planning activities that develop strategic operations and policies that further the institutionalization of community engagement.
The purpose of this program is to convene different institutional leaders and units that are committed to public and community engagement and to provide a professional development program that emphasizes leadership development and evidence-based best practices in community engagement. The content and program design will emphasize team development, action-planning, and the benefits of integration and coordination of university-wide initiatives focused on community engagement. While the program is team-focused, individual leaders will also benefit from this instructional design.
The overall objective of this Academy is to develop institutional capacity for leading community engagement. Specific learning outcomes include:
- Developing engagement leaders’ skills and attributes for leading engagement
- Increasing capacity to effectively link community engagement to the institution’s strategic direction and the teaching, research, and service missions of the institution.
- Refining an action plan to advance engagement and link their units to strategic directions of the institution
- Building collaborations and connections within and across institutions.
This program is appropriate for individual engagement leaders and managers. Teams of 2 or 3 leaders from a unit that conducts community-engaged work are highly encouraged.
University of Minnesota engagement units and centers that participated in the May 2012 Public Engagement Leaders Retreat will have first priority in registering a team.
View agenda (PDF)
- Barbara Holland, The University of Sydney, Australia and Indiana University—Purdue University Indianapolis
- Judith Ramaley, Winona State University
- Lorilee Sandmann, University of Georgia
- David Weerts, University of Minnesota—Twin Cities
Cost Per Person
The Office for Public Engagement is pleased to offer this opportunity at a significantly discounted price.* The cost below includes the programming, including breakfast and lunch for all three days.
University of Minnesota Engagement Leaders: $50 per person
*Normal Engagement Academy rate is $3,895 per person
University of Minnesota Registration Information
- The Academy can accommodate representation from up to 30 University of Minnesota engagement centers and units
- Units can be represented by up to 3 leaders who have managerial responsibilities for the engagement unit
- The cost per person is $50
- Participating teams will be asked to:
- Complete pre-academy work
- Attend all sessions of the three-day academy
- Complete and submit an action plan
- Attend a follow-up meeting later in the year
- Priority will be given to units that participated in the May 2012 Public Engagement Leaders Retreat. Units that were unable to participate in the retreat will be considered as space is available.
In order to access the special rate of $50 per person, each team must submit a short application (docx). Please email your application to Amber Cameron, Associate Director for Public Engagement Initiatives (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, October 5. Applications received after this date will be considered only if space is available.The Office for Public Engagement will review all applications and contact engagement units/center with registration information. Up to 30 teams will be selected based on the alignment of the teams goals and the focus and objectives of the Academy.